Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Casserole Recipes

Some of my favorite dishes to cook are casseroles 1.) because they are easy to throw together and 2.) because they are make great leftovers for lunches, etc. Also, everyone loves a good casserole and casseroles don't have to be followed by the book, as you will see in my recipes I am sharing with you! These recipes are simple and fool-proof!

This first casserole I have been enjoying since I was a little blonde, freckled child and what started my casserole addiction.
This dish has never really had a name, so we will just call it Mom's Casserole?


Mom's Casserole
Ingredients:
Feel free to add more or less depending on how many people
Chicken breast (at least 2)
Pasta - any kind you choose, bow tie or the spirals, I think, work best. Also, use wheat pasta to make the dish healthier.
Low Sodium Cream of Mushroom Soup - it's better for you.
Kraft Reduced-Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese - also healthier

1. Cook your chicken breasts thoroughly, I bake them instead of frying. Once cooked, cut into bite-size pieces.
2. Cook your pasta until tender.
3. Once your pasta and chicken is cooked, preheat your oven for 350 degrees. You will now combine your pasta, chicken and cream of mushroom soup in a casserole dish and mix until everything is coated with the soup.
4. Top the casserole with as much cheese as desired and place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling. And enjoy!


My next dish is one of my dad's favorites that I make. And if you like Mexican food, you will like this! I don't really have a special name for it, it was a recipe I found and then changed a few things and made it my own, so here it goes!



My Mexican Casserole
Ingredients:
1 lb. of ground beef
4-8 tortillas (white or wheat) depending on size of dish
1 can of refried beans (feel free to use reduced-fat)
1 can of Rotel (use mild or hot for more spiciness)
Reduced-fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Guacamole or Sour Cream for topping, if desired

1. Brown your ground beef and add any seasonings, if desired. Once cooked, stir in Rotel.
2. Line your casserole dish with the tortillas of your choice.  Be sure and try to cover the bottom and sides of the dish.
3. Spread the beans all over the tortillas. (You can also choose to mix all of your ingredients together but I like the layers.)
4. Add on top of the beans, the ground beef and Rotel mixture.
5. Top the dish with the shredded cheese and place in the oven at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbling and melted.
6. Top with guacamole or sour cream!


Southwest Chicken and Pasta
Ingredients:
2-3 Chicken Breasts, depending on number of guests
2-3 Cups of Penne Pasta
1 Can of Rotel
1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Can of Cheddar Cheese Soup (both cans reduced sodium!)

1. Bake chicken until cooked and seasoned to your liking.
2. Cook pasta until tender. Add a few drops of vegetable oil, so the pasta does not stick together.
3. Mix together the Rotel, Cheddar Soup and Cream of Chicken Soup.
4. Combine the chicken, pasta and soup mixture together and stir until everything is covered and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment